[OSM-talk] RFC: geodesy=pillar

Ian Sergeant isergean at hih.com.au
Mon Jul 16 23:48:37 BST 2007

Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org> wrote:

> So, I'm proposing the following tags to be applied on nodes:

> geodesy = pillar
> Depicts a geodetic (or geodesic) pillar

> geodesy:network = foobar
> Several pillars together form a geodetic network, which usually has a
name.

> geodesy:reference = 1234
> Pillars in the same network are identified by a reference number.

Would the existing accepted tags of

man_made=survey_point
name=foo
ref=bar

Work?

That is what I have used for survey pillars in the past.

ref= is already defined as a tag for a node, to add a new reference tag
within a namespace seems likely to confuse.

If we create this new geodesy namespace, do we need to remove/change the
existing survey_point tag?

Ian.