[OSM-talk] Tagging university roads

Adam Schreiber sadam at clemson.edu
Tue Jul 17 00:08:28 BST 2007

On 7/16/07, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> Adam Schreiber wrote:
> > I've tagged the roads at my university as highway=tertiary.
> > Restricted roads would be listed as "service" though.
>
> That seems completely inappropriate to me, unless they're actually
> tertiary roads (i.e. bigger than residential/unclassified, smaller than
> secondary).  There's a greater difference between tertiary and service,
> than the access restrictions.

Description for service:
[quote]
generally for access to a building, motorway service station, beach,
campsite, industrial estate, business park, etc. This is also commonly
used for access to parking and trash collection. Sometimes called an
alley, particularly in the US.
[/quote]

This is a totally inappropriate description of the roads at my university.

Description for tertiary:
[quote]
A "C" road in the UK. Generally for use on roads wider than 4 metres
(13') in width, and for faster/wider minor roads that aren't A or B
roads. In the UK, they tend to have dashed lines down the middle,
whereas unclassified roads don't.
[/quote]

The roads on my university's campus are 2 lane roads (~16 ft) with
solid double lines.  I have no idea what constitutes a C road in the
UK but if the above doesn't fit I suppose unclassified would be a
better fit than service.

Adam