[OSM-talk] Deprecation/move of incorrect tags

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 08:32:15 BST 2007

On 7/17/07, Andy Robinson <Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Alex Mauer wrote:
> >Sent: 16 July 2007 11:34 PM
> >To: talk at openstreetmap.org
> >Cc: talk at openstreetmap.org
> >Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Deprecation/move of incorrect tags
> >
> >Stephen Gower wrote:

> >>   OK. I'm arguing for a distinction between (what I currently tag as)
> >>   "highway=cycleway; foot=yes" and "highway=footway; cycle=yes".  I'm
> >>   also arguing for, in general, keeping the status quo, unless
> >>   there's a good reason for changing.  For me, most good reasons for
> >>   change could be grouped into "it doesn't work", "it breaks
> >>   something at the moment" or "it prevents some important new feature
> >>   being implemented".  As far as I can tell, there is no good reason
> >>   for going through the pain of changing, and there is no current
> >>   proposal that maintains the distinction of what *kind* of path this
> >>   is.
> >
> >The reason I have is that there is currently no way to have a path that
> >*isn't* primarily a footway, cycleway, or cycleway.  A ski trail would
> >be a good example of this, which I actually have in my area; The path(s)
> >in question is not allowed to be used other than for skiing, (in winter)
> >presumably to prevent or reduce erosion.
> >

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WikiProject_Piste_Maps for details
> of how people have previously made piste maps

I was just about to point out exactly the same page :)

This was drawn up a long time ago when we were still using segments and the
class tag.

There is a lot of piste specific information that can/should be collected
and I was considering a complete tagging namespace just for alpine ski/board
riding areas.

Many alpine pistes are mountain roadways during the summer (they may also be
mountain bike trails).  Other pistes may be best describes as areas rather
than routes.  There is also a lot of meta data about lift systems that could
be useful: type, capacity, speed, journey time, etc.

I have tracks for most of the Alpine ski resort of Val Thorens which I need
to upload and tag one of these rainy days.

80n