[OSM-talk] Tagging university roads

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Tue Jul 17 13:50:00 BST 2007

At 08:37 AM 17/07/2007, Guilhem Bonnefille wrote:
>On 7/16/07, Mike Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz> wrote:
>>>
>>>I've tagged them as "service".
>>
>>Ditto.  I typically do all roads in hospitals, supermarket car parks, hotel resorts and closed industrial estates this way.  I also try and mark the gate(s) where I can; I understand this will be rendered nicely in the next version of OSMarender about to be released.
>>
>>You might also want to use the access=private or access=permissive tags
>
>I'm interested in an example for the supermarket car parks. Can you
>give us some coordinates or permalink to OSM map, please?

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.88470240434336&lon=-1.2612593677971715&zoom=17

There are two supermarket car parks here where I've drawn a short stub "service" road to show where the entrance is.  Sometimes I continue it through the car park if it is well defined on the ground.  The supermarket itself does not currently render.  This is how I normally do it, but I don't suggest it is the only or indeed the best way to do it.

Mike