[OSM-talk] Deprecation/move of incorrect tags

Alex L. Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Jul 17 19:50:47 BST 2007

Andy Allan wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Alex L. Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
>
>> OK, and what about a generic thing-that-is-not-a-road (i.e. path or
>> trail)?  My point is that there *is no way to tag that* currently,
>
> highway = footway? highway=track?

Highway=track is intended for motor-vehicle travel, based on the
decription: "unpaved/unsealed roads for agricultural use; gravel roads
in the forest etc."

> I don't understand what linear-feature-for-travelling you can't
> currently tag *at all* with one of the "highway" list. Maybe you have
> a specific example, and you could provide a full description and/or
> photos.

a dedicated-use ski trail, a snowmobile trail, or a shared-use
cycling/hiking trail that is not primarily one or the other.  I can go
take some pictures of the latter, but I don't see how it will help;
visually it looks just like any other trail.