[OSM-talk] Deprecation/move of incorrect tags

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 20:51:36 BST 2007

On 7/17/07, Alex L. Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:

> a dedicated-use ski trail
Other people have opinions on this. I would use landuse=piste for
downhills, and highway=track ski=yes or equally highway=footway
ski=yes for nordic-style stuff depending if it's suitable to get a
snowmobile down.

> a snowmobile trail,
highway=track, snowmobile=yes

> or a shared-use
> cycling/hiking trail that is not primarily one or the other.

Highway=footway cycle=yes (maybe cycle=mtb for difficult offroad
stuff)? You say hiking so I'm thinking you're not talking about flat,
tarmaced paths, which is what I would use highway=cycleway for.

If I consider the words "trail" and "highway" interchangeable, and
take both to mean a linear feature intended for travel, then it's just
one long sliding scale from motorway downwards.

(I still don't know what this STAGS thing is all about, btw.)

Cheers,
Andy