[OSM-talk] Deprecation/move of incorrect tags

Alex L. Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Jul 17 21:19:43 BST 2007

Andy Allan wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Alex L. Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
>
> ... and highway=track ski=yes or equally highway=footway
> ski=yes for nordic-style stuff depending if it's suitable to get a
> snowmobile down.

How about where it's unsuitable to get a snowmobile down, and foot
traffic is not allowed (or at least strongly discouraged) during the
off-season?

>> a snowmobile trail,
> highway=track, snowmobile=yes

Too narrow for automobiles, therefore not suitable as a "track"

>> or a shared-use
>> cycling/hiking trail that is not primarily one or the other.
>
> Highway=footway cycle=yes (maybe cycle=mtb for difficult offroad
> stuff)? You say hiking so I'm thinking you're not talking about flat,
> tarmaced paths, which is what I would use highway=cycleway for.

Right. Unpaved, narrow paths.  [Bad] image of an actual trail here:
http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/schmeeckle/Images/fence.jpg

I'll try to get some better pictures myself today.

> If I consider the words "trail" and "highway" interchangeable, and
> take both to mean a linear feature intended for travel, then it's just
> one long sliding scale from motorway downwards.

Right, but below "track" we have "trail" or path" (those being
equivalent to my mind) -- and no generic way to tag them; only the set
of three special-use trails.

--
Bad - You get pulled over for doing 90 in a school zone and you're drunk
off your ass again at three in the afternoon.