[OSM-talk] Preview: national cycle network map

Steve Chilton S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk
Thu Jul 19 11:32:25 BST 2007

Andy

Couple of further thoughts.

I would think that best order would be :
1 "non-involved" detail - all the background stuff
2 red/blue emphasis lines for NCN - which will show around layer 3
3 way detail that it is on - road, bridleway, cycleway etc
4 NCN ref numbers
NB: there are some inconsistencies z-values at present. Look where route 4 comes into NE of Richmond Park (can't do URL to it) first (unclassified?) road is above and when swings south the road (service?) is below.

There are artefacts where "sections" of red/blue butt up, which multiply in sections are very short. Is this because of transparency? Can you look at that? At first I thought they had some special significance. In my view it detracts from smooth visualising of the routes.

I like Blackadder's suggestion for bringing up non-ncn cycle specific stuff - change emphasis in mapnik style sheet? But beware of coalescing data.

Maybe Artem could answer directly on shield/shift issues.

With a bit of tweaking I will be asking permission to use this as an exemplar of use of OSM data at SoC conf in September.

Cheers
STEVE