[OSM-talk] Preview: national cycle network map

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 11:00:57 BST 2007

On 7/19/07, Steve Chilton <S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk> wrote:
> Andy
>
> Initial thought is that it looks excellent.
> Two suggestions spring to mind having zoomed through layers in to Richmond:
> Can you make the blue and red overlays more transparent? It would be good to see more clearly what the underlying way type is - road, bridleway, footway, etc.

There's a couple of z-index issues I need to look at - roads are
rendered over cycleways at the moment, so when they are adjacent it
looks misleading. I'm considering trying to make the tagged ways
render in front of the highlighting, and the highlighting above the
non-involved ways, so that the underlying type is more obvious.

> Secondly can you somehow filter the number of occurences of the NCN number? In Richmond Park it is obviously number 4 at all times and doesn't need all those labels.

Yeah, that's the mapnik shieldsymbolizer "minimum radius" thing I had
asked about previously on the lists (for the coloured boxes). It's
apparently in a the head version of mapnik but I haven't got that
running yet.

I'd also tried shifting the in-line numbers at high zoom to the side
of the route (since the higher the zoom, the less you want the route
overwritten), but I couldn't make dy="80" work on the textsymbolizer.
Works fine for point names (e.g. pubs) but I couldn't make it work
when writing on the lines.

> Otherwise really encouraging. Good work.

Thanks.

Andy