[OSM-talk] "Asking is worth it": Maps of the commune of Samt donated

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 00:23:43 BST 2007

On 7/19/07, Immanuel Scholz <imi at eigenheimstrasse.de> wrote:
> As just arrived in talk-de, the chief officer of the commune "Samt" (in
> Oberharz, Germany) has made all maps available to the commune
> administration to Thomas Krüger.
>
> He just asked, talked a bit and after the officer got the answer to "And
> then we can use the maps without paying fees?", his interest escalated,
> as the city major already requested street maps multiple times before.
>
> Thomas leaved the office with two 1:2000 maps, A2 sized and will get
> more maps of the city center next week, after they have been copied.
>

> The chief officer suggested a feature to be able to click on POIs.
>
> Ciao, Imi.

Very cool work. The various municipal governments can be good sources
of information and allies for us, as they are often extremely strapped
for cash and as a smaller org, less bureaucratic.

However, I have one minor concern with using maps from them: That of
copyright. I would assume those maps are Copyright Samt and thus would
we not need legal permission to get that data relicensed under our CC
by sa license?

Corey