[OSM-talk] route=ncn and route=bus on same road

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jul 20 12:22:46 BST 2007

mike wrote:
>Sent: 20 July 2007 10:23 AM
>To: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [OSM-talk] route=ncn and route=bus on same road
>
>I have been using route=ncn to tag roads that a cycle route goes along,
>which seems to work fine.
>
>I recently added a bus route with the same method, using route=bus.  OK so
>far.
>
>However, at one point my bus and cycle route pass along the same stretch of
>road.  In JOSM, I seem to be allowed only one route=x tag - if I try to add
>another bus / ncn then it overwrites the other.
>
>Going forward, we could easily have several cycle / bus / pubcrawl or
>whatever sharing the same way.
>
>In addition, I'd like to add extra info about the route e.g. ncn_ref=N3
>ncn_name=West Country Way bus_name=Chew Valley Explorer
>
>I think I may be making these last few tags up, but hopefully it
>demonstrates the issue - can someone recommend a solution?

A few moons ago we thought that we would have a number of "ways" created
which use the same segments, ie they sit on top of each other in whole or in
part. However we have never had any tools to see that there are overlapping
ways easily and hence that's not what's actually happened.

Also, the database does not care if there are two "route" keys for a given
object, however there is no support for a multiple of a key or an empty key
(ie a key with no value) in JOSM at the present time.

These are aspects that need a bit more though and some trial implementation
to test the usefulness.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson