[OSM-talk] route=ncn and route=bus on same road

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sat Jul 21 19:15:44 BST 2007

On 21/07/2007 18:40, Stephen Gower wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 06:10:53PM +0100, Dave Stubbs wrote:
>>> you can read the tags. I'm especially trying to work out how to mark
>>> when the pavement beside the road is the (shared) cycle path without
>>> having to draw a parrallel cycle route (we don't draw pavements
>>> normally, by convention.)
>> cycleway=pavement?
>
>   We'd need a direction based tag to indicate which side of the road
>   the pavement cycling is on.

Or both sides, as is commonly the case in Cambridge. Also there is a
distinction in many countries including the UK between segregated and
unsegregated shared-use pavements (i.e. those which have a dividing line
between cycles and pedestrians and those which don't. The signage and
legal usage is different).

We currently have (among others less relevant)
   cycleway=lane
   cycleway=opposite_lane (contraflow)

We could have (I suggest footway rather than pavement for consistency
with the use of footway elsewhere, but it doesn't really matter). Left
and right refer to the direction of segments in the same way as oneway does:
   cycleway=footway_shared (meaning both)
   cycleway=footway_left_shared
   cycleway=footway_right_shared
we could separate these out but it gets a bit tedious, given they can be
different left and right). Then also
   cycleway=footway_segregated
   cycleway=footway_left_segregated
   cycleway=footway_right_segregated
And if you're feeling lazy,
  cycleway=footway/footway_left/footway_right
can be unspecified

I think it would also be useful to have
   cycleway=lane_left
   cycleway=lane_right
   cycleway=lane (meaning both, as above)

Hills Road in Cambridge south of Long Road would need all of these!-
   cycleway=lane_left
   cycleway=lane_right
   cycleway=footway_left_segregated

We also have a number of cycle lanes in Cambridge (and I've seen them in
Edinburgh and York too) where cycle lanes occur between two traffic
lanes to make a safer straight on when there is a left turn vehicle
lane. Route planning for cyclists needs to know this, but I think we
would need junction modelling in general to achieve this.

David