[OSM-talk] Changes to Coastline

Franc Carter franc.carter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 00:56:30 BST 2007

This may be heresy . . . . but I found it less painfull to gradually do
coastlines manually using
Yahoo Imagery. The coastline around Sydney took a long time to fix from the
original script
import (and some is still broken in a way I can't find).

I have started doing the Gosford area and made good progress with potlatch
and then checking/fixing
any direction problems in josm

just my 2cents worth ..

> Good Morning Australia,
>
> > However, the coastline is not downloaded by JOSM and does not appear in
> Potlatch.
>
> This means it is not in the OSM database.
>
> mapnik has coastlines derived from vmap0 and merges them in from a
> different source when tiles are created. tiles at home only knows which
> "tilesets" (i.e. level-12 tiles) are water tiles, so what you basicalle
> see on the tiles at home map is a coastline with 10km resolution or so.
>
> To fix this, you (or someone else, but being in the area makes you a top
> candidate) will have to convert existing coastline data into OSM format
> and upload it.
>
> See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Coastlines and the link
> "Running the coastline upload" linked from there. However, the script
> referenced there doesn't work with API 0.4, and you should E-Mail Lars
> Aronsson who has created an improved version of the coastline upload
> script that will work. Alternatively, I can give you a modified version
> of the coastline conversion script that will create .osm files to load
> in JOSM (and upload from there) instead of directly uploading the stuff.
>
> If you don't feel up to the task of running the script, try and find
> someone else who does it ;-) if all else fails, I can do it but after
> the raw converted data is uploaded, you'll still have a lot of manual
> work to fix the little bits.
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --