[OSM-talk] Changes to Coastline

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jul 23 00:21:33 BST 2007

Good Morning Australia,

> However, the coastline is not downloaded by JOSM and does not appear in Potlatch.

This means it is not in the OSM database.

mapnik has coastlines derived from vmap0 and merges them in from a
different source when tiles are created. tiles at home only knows which
"tilesets" (i.e. level-12 tiles) are water tiles, so what you basicalle
see on the tiles at home map is a coastline with 10km resolution or so.

To fix this, you (or someone else, but being in the area makes you a top
candidate) will have to convert existing coastline data into OSM format
and upload it.

See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Coastlines and the link
"Running the coastline upload" linked from there. However, the script
referenced there doesn't work with API 0.4, and you should E-Mail Lars
Aronsson who has created an improved version of the coastline upload
script that will work. Alternatively, I can give you a modified version
of the coastline conversion script that will create .osm files to load
in JOSM (and upload from there) instead of directly uploading the stuff.

If you don't feel up to the task of running the script, try and find
someone else who does it ;-) if all else fails, I can do it but after
the raw converted data is uploaded, you'll still have a lot of manual
work to fix the little bits.

Bye
Frederik