[OSM-talk] OSM as Map Publishers (was Re: TomTom acqures TeleAltas)

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 15:20:19 BST 2007

I've been pondering for some time whether OSM should be hosting our own
slippy maps or whether our role should be to *only* provide raw data.
Leaving it to others to render and publish slippy maps etc.

A couple of relevant but unrelated threads today have prompted me to throw
this topic up for discussion.

On the one hand, we don't have hundreds of servers that can be used for
delivering maps to the world, but on the other hand, if we don't do this,
then how will ordinary users be able to provide the feedback to us that will
help keep the maps up to date.

Clearly TomTom have realised that by owning TeleAtlas they can use the
MapShare feedback to update the source data that TeleAtlas has.

On a separate thread over on the dev mailing list, Sebastian just asked what
should be the relative priorities for services running on the dev/tah
server.  Should tiles at home processing displace web-hosting for SotM, etc?
Part of the answer to this question depends on whether OSM sees its role as
publishers of rendered map tiles, or just publishers of the raw data.

So, should OSM's responsibility stop at providing a real time API and weekly
copies of planet.osm or should we also be hosting slippy maps (and if so how
many different flavours?)

80n