[OSM-talk] OSM as Map Publishers (was Re: TomTom acqures TeleAltas)

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Mon Jul 23 16:59:29 BST 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 04:21:19PM +0100, Tom Chance wrote:
> On Monday 23 July 2007 15:42:45 Andy Allan wrote:
> > Personally, I think it should only host enough layers to demonstrate
> > that the project isn't vapourware. OpenStreetMap will really take off
> > (if it hasn't already!) when we find that most maps are developed and
> > hosted independently of the project - i.e. it becomes pervasive. One
> > course of action would be to concentrate on smoothing the way for that
> > to happen.
>
> I agree with this.

In that case, the tiles server using mapnik would suffice, as it demonstrates nicely the non-vapurware state of the project.

I still feel that t at h has a lot of added value. It currently has the quickest turn-around time of changes. Personally, I would argue that we should disable manual requests and get some notification scheme again, which renders changed areas automatically. (Is there a "last modified" API call for a bbox or a push mechanism for changes?). Once Mapnik gets that one, the case for t at h within OSM.org becomes a little weaker though.

spaetz