[OSM-talk] OSM as Map Publishers (was Re: TomTom acqures TeleAltas)

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Jul 23 16:21:19 BST 2007

On Monday 23 July 2007 15:42:45 Andy Allan wrote:
> Personally, I think it should only host enough layers to demonstrate
> that the project isn't vapourware. OpenStreetMap will really take off
> (if it hasn't already!) when we find that most maps are developed and
> hosted independently of the project - i.e. it becomes pervasive. One
> course of action would be to concentrate on smoothing the way for that
> to happen.

I agree with this.

Also, it would be great if somebody could come along and say "I can secure the
funding to add a cycling layer (i.e. cover additional hardware and bandwidth
demands)" rather than needing to set-up a whole new, separate infrastructure.

Of course you don't want OSM.org hosting every minor use case, but it can be a
great incubator so long as the incubated project doesn't have a damaging
affect on the central infrastructure.

Kind regards,
Tom

--
| Green Party Speaker on Intellectual Property and Free Software |
| http://tom.acrewoods.net    ::    http://www.greenparty.org.uk |