[OSM-talk] Drives for OSM servers

Steve Bromwich osm at fop.ns.ca
Mon Jul 23 17:01:39 BST 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, spaetz wrote:

> The current problem is that the box' disks are already rotating faster
> than they are able to, so uploading and downloading yet another layer of
> tiles will probably kill it, unless there are some structural changes
> made. (It is both mySQL reading/writing the disk like crazy and tons of
> tile files being up/downloaded simultanously.)

I've tried emailing this to Nick and Steve, but I've got no reply - I
don't know if I'm getting caught in a spam trap, people are off on
holiday, or what.

My company moved office a couple of months ago and disposed of a pile of
inventory. I have 5 Seagate ST373453LC 72 gig U320 SCA drives I'm willing
to donate to OSM. These drives are pretty much brand new (a customer
bought them by mistake and opened them so they couldn't be returned - I
think they've been powered on for a total of 10 hours).

My parents are visiting my shortly from the UK so if someone is willing to
pick them up from High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire (and the drives would
actually be useful) I can send the drives over when my parents return next
month. My father might also be willing to bring them into the city.

I also have a bunch of assorted SCSI cables if they're required.

Cheers, Steve