[OSM-talk] OSM as Map Publishers

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Jul 24 02:22:25 BST 2007

> Message: 3

> Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:02:36 +0100

> From: Steve Chilton <S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk>

> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] OSM as Map Publishers (was Re: TomTom   acqures

>     TeleAltas)

> To: Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com>

> Cc: talk at openstreetmap.org

>     <807403873A309745A3B9F193A721F19E07536CF7 at MDX-CLX-DC1.uni.mdx.ac.uk>

> One map - the mapnik rendering (as it stands at the moment this

> represents the data in the most professional manner IMO).

> Niche stuff like cycle-specific output (which you [AndyA] recently

> nicely previewed), etc should be supported but not necessarily hosted on

> core OSM hardware. CTC, Sustrans (whose online maps I have NOT been

> impressed by) etc asked to put funding up for this perhaps.

> And in answer to Tom C's points in separate email:

> Yes it should not be so hidden. Maybe someone could highlight the

> technique for producing URL with separate marker and centre locations if

> it is not on wiki.

> Provision of a key was touched on at SOTM conference. Perhaps that, and

> this discussion, will prompt someone to take that topic and run with it.

> Cheers

> STEVE

> Steve Chilton, Learning Support Fellow

> Learning and Technical Support Unit Manager

> School of Health and Social Sciences

> Middlesex University

> phone/fax: 020 8411 5355

> email: steve8 at mdx.ac.uk

> Chair of the Society of Cartographers: http://www.soc.org.uk/

I am sure a good funding application from the OSMF for financial support to
promote cycling data gathering and/or host cycle maps would find some
takers. I have pretty good contacts into the UK cycling organisations (CTC,
Sustrans, Cycle England, etc) and also contacts with other potential funders
who could be interested in supporting such a project. I will be speaking to
people from both CTC and Sustans at the Big Green Gathering from Aug 1st-5th
(and will also be promoting OSM).

Regards,

Peter