[OSM-talk] BBC Berkshire's Google Maps flood mashup

Richard George wechsler at phase.org
Tue Jul 24 12:11:32 BST 2007

frankie roberto wrote:
> http://www.cybersoc.com/2007/07/bbc-berkshires-.html
>
> Seems like a prime example of why 'mashups suck and cartography matters' to me.

It's still massively more useful than the pitiful mess that the
environment agency are providing though...

(cf:
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/flood/floodwarning/Thames.html
- Geographical regions provided as a list of obscure placenames.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/flood/826674/829803/858477/?version=1&lang=_e
- play "spot the link to the map"

http://maps.environment-agency.gov.uk/wiyby/wiybyController?topic=floodmap&ep=map&lang=_e&x=524045.0&y=175685.0&scale=5&layerGroups=1,&layerGroupToQuery=1&location=SW15%201EN
- Mapping by crayon, blurry photocopier, and unmarked bills from
property developers

http://www.ononeblog.com/?p=28 /
http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,2118152,00.html
- no, we're not allowed to make this data usable

http://maps.environment-agency.gov.uk/realtime-flooding-map
- Yeah, right
)

I'm sure you've seen a few of these before, but the current chaos
underscores just what a mess the current government data provision is.

Richard

believed to be clean.