[OSM-talk] The Fourth Dimension (temporary mapping)

Jannis Achstetter krippi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 14:43:56 BST 2007

Frederik Ramm schrieb:
> Hi,
>
>     reading about the floods in England prompted me to think about
> whether we should make efforts to somehow include "temporary mapping"
> for OSM.
>
> There are many aspects of maps that change "temporarily". Some roads
> are closed in winter, but they are not closed at a certain date -
> they are closed "in wintry conditions". Some roads are closed long-
> term (construction, bridge or tunnel refurbishing), some short-term
> (cleanup after accident). Lakes dry up, and flooding creates "lakes"
> where there should be villages.

I once thought exactly the same. Some time ago I found these tags in
"Map Features":

start_date Date ANY Date feature was created
end_date Date ANY Date feature was removed

With this information and a given "time" maps can be rendered that show
the state at that specific time

(short answer, I know but I have a meeting in 10 mins)

Jannis