[OSM-talk] The Fourth Dimension (temporary mapping)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jul 24 18:37:36 BST 2007

Hi,

> I once thought exactly the same. Some time ago I found these tags in
> "Map Features":
>
> start_date Date ANY Date feature was created
> end_date Date ANY Date feature was removed
>
> With this information and a given "time" maps can be rendered that show
> the state at that specific time

True, if we could count on people to add a start_date when something
comes into existence (as opposed to always having been there and just
now having been mapped), and an end_date when things are removed (as
opposed to just deleting them as if they'd never been there in the first
place). And editors would of course have to be modified to not clutter
the display with things from the past or the future unless instructed to
do so. It is possible but there will be a lot of side effects, and the
"start date/end date" construct might clash with the existing history
mechanism in some places.

Bye
Frederik