[OSM-talk] OSM as Map Publishers (was Re: TomTom acqures TeleAltas)

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 15:05:47 BST 2007

On 7/23/07, 80n <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/23/07, Raphaël Jacquot <sxpert at sxpert.org> wrote:
> > spaetz wrote:
> > > In that case, the tiles server using mapnik would suffice, as it
> demonstrates nicely the non-vapurware state of the project.
> >
> > I agree, but then the mapnik rules need to be modified such as
> >
> > * you get to see highways and main roads at the startup level (similar
> > to what google does)
>
> Good point, the start page is totally unimpressive at the moment.

Don't underestimate the OSM homepage - I've just come from a meeting
with clients who used the openstreetmap.org home page as an example of
what a web map site's homepage *should* look like!

Of course the question here is whether OSM is an internet map site - a
la google, multimap, mashup-x - or something else.

Actually
> t at h gives the best indication of what data we have at low zoom levels -
> except for India, which seems to have been flooded ;)
>
> > * you need to add more things in the map, such as buildings and stuff

Nick Black