[OSM-talk] OSM as Map Publishers (was Re: TomTom acqures TeleAltas)

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 15:19:03 BST 2007

On 7/24/07, Nick Black <nickblack1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/23/07, 80n <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:
> > demonstrates nicely the non-vapurware state of the project.
> > >
> > > I agree, but then the mapnik rules need to be modified such as
> > >
> > > * you get to see highways and main roads at the startup level (similar
> > > to what google does)
> >
> > Good point, the start page is totally unimpressive at the moment.
>
> Don't underestimate the OSM homepage - I've just come from a meeting
> with clients who used the openstreetmap.org home page as an example of
> what a web map site's homepage *should* look like!

Yes, the point is though that the use doesn't actually get to see any of the
real data because none of it is visible.  If I was visiting OSM for the
first time I'd probably say "Blank map, big deal" and move on.  But if it
were zoomed in just one more level it would be so much more impressive.
First impressions count.

Of course the question here is whether OSM is an internet map site - a