[OSM-talk] buildings

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Jul 24 22:14:33 BST 2007

On Tuesday 24 July 2007 21:59:01 Steve Coast wrote:
> It strikes me that doing all the building outlines in london is very
> possible, and something we can do without visiting.

Absolutely. At the very least, getting big buildings like museums, hospitals,
schools, housing estates, etc. in place wouldn't be too hard.

> So, my question is what's the status of building=* and what is the
> status of mapnik and t at h rendering it?

So far as I can tell it's still in the proposal stage:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Building

I don't think any of them show up on mapnik, a few show up on t at h, other kinds
of building that don't use that key (like amenity=hospital) don't show up at
all and others (like amenity=school) show up without labels or much
indication of what they are on mapnik.

In other words, pretty mixed. If both mapnik and t at h supported a decent range
of buildings I'm sure the proposal would get more attention...

> If those two or three things line up, should we start putting in the
> outlines of lots of buildings?

Some of us are doing this already ;)

Kind regards,
Tom

--
| Green Party Speaker on Intellectual Property and Free Software |
| http://tom.acrewoods.net    ::    http://www.greenparty.org.uk |