[OSM-talk] will we be nuked from orbit?

Steve Coast steve at asklater.com
Tue Jul 24 22:46:52 BST 2007

On 24 Jul 2007, at 22:38, Andy Armstrong wrote:

> On 24 Jul 2007, at 22:25, Steve Coast wrote:
>> Two things have happened over the past few days in the community
>> mapping world, of which we /were/ the only participant.
> [snip]
>
> What am I missing? Either they release their data under a suitably
> free licence - in which case OSM's aim's will have been realised
> sooner than expected - or they don't - in which case OSM's raison
> d'etre still exists.

Indeed. But you need more than a reason for existance, you also need
people, money, server and so on.

> Presumably it's not OSM's primary mission to have a monopoly on
> community mapping?

It's not clear to me that there's room for more than one. Or more
than two perhaps. I didn't say that there isn't room - just that it's
not clear.

Hypothetically, what if Google started accepting GPS data and making
their own map tomorrow? Without license problems or flaky servers,
clearly they would be able to attract a lot of potential OSMers. As I
said, I don't know how it will pan out, but I think it's really worth
thinking about.

have fun,