[OSM-talk] buildings

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Tue Jul 24 22:57:23 BST 2007

Steve Coast wrote:
> I went to central london today and had 15 minutes so I grabbed a load
> of streets. As I tag them up, I've noticed how all the buildings are
> fairly well outlined in the aerial imagery even if they are slightly
> off due to parallax of the offset camera not being over the top of
> every building. That is, you can see the some of the sides of the
> buildings often.
>
> It strikes me that doing all the building outlines in london is very
> possible, and something we can do without visiting.
>
> So, my question is what's the status of building=* and what is the
> status of mapnik and t at h rendering it?
>
> If those two or three things line up, should we start putting in the
> outlines of lots of buildings?

I've been doing this for a while for some buildings.

tiles at home will render building=* as a building so I tend to add this to
anything I want on the map. It would be good to get this added to mapnik
as well. Using the * is nice because we don't have to define every
building type up front, and it's sensible to render most building
outlines in the same way.

Cheers
Chris