[OSM-talk] How to host your own slippymap?

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 24 23:00:38 BST 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 10:52 -0400, Bone Killian wrote:
> Is there a HOWTO anywhere on how to host your own slippymap?  I did a
> search on the wiki but I didn't turn anything up.
>
> Thanks,
> Bone

A lot of the information is on the Mapnik and Slippy_Map pages of the
wiki. In some cases you may not actually want to host the slippy map
itself but instead just have a small area of your web page which can
source tiles from the mail OSM server. In which case all you need to do
is download the OpenLayers javascript code and add a few lines into your
web page.

If you want to go for the whole rendering and display process yourself
then you may find the list of steps I wrote on how to setup the mapnik
renderer with tilecache a few months ago helpful:

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2007-May/005079.html

It is tricky to write a single comprehensive set of instructions because
you need to cover such a broad list of tools. There are quite a few
steps which can fail. Your best bet is to have a go and if you get stuck
then contact myself or one of the OSM, mapnik or tilecache mailing lists
or use the OSM IRC channel.

	Jon