[OSM-talk] will we be nuked from orbit?

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org
Tue Jul 24 23:15:29 BST 2007

El Martes, 24 de Julio de 2007, Steve Coast escribió:
[...]
> Indeed. But you need more than a reason for existance, you also need
> people, money, server and so on.

You may know my plan for World Domination(tm): lobby mapping agencies. If they
can throw money and manwork into GRASS and mapserver, the might as well drop
it on just maintaining a big DB.

> > Presumably it's not OSM's primary mission to have a monopoly on
> > community mapping?
>
> It's not clear to me that there's room for more than one. Or more
> than two perhaps. I didn't say that there isn't room - just that it's
> not clear.

My point of view is that OSM's mission is to make more data *free*. Either by
collecting it, either from out-of-copyright maps, either by deals.

Besides that, I think it's possible to have more than one "free" dataset, the
main reson being the current technologies. The world just cannot have a
working, bug-free, multiple interface to the data. Just think of the
headaches of making a shapefile, GML, WFS, KML or whatever-to-OSM conversor.
Even in the worst scenario (another "free" world dataset is there"), OSM can
fight for the standards.

And, if you ever have to work with shapelib or any OGC stuff, you will prefer
the simplicity of the OSM data model, believe me...

> Hypothetically, what if Google started accepting GPS data and making
> their own map tomorrow? Without license problems or flaky servers,
> clearly they would be able to attract a lot of potential OSMers.

It's a win-win situation; either:
- Google doesn't release the data under a "free enough" license: the OSM use
cases still apply.
- Google do release the data under a "free enough" license: we import it.

Don't be so pessimistic, cheer up ;-)
--
Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org>

Now listening to: Biosphere - Patashnik (1994) - [4] Novelty Waves (6:23)
(86.000000%)