[OSM-talk] IOW tiles step by step

Artem Pavlenko artem at mapnik.org
Wed Jul 25 11:05:21 BST 2007

Hello,

I recently helped Nestoria to create new tileset and I thought it
might be useful to outline steps involved.

1. Download data (covering IOW and some mainland) using JOSM.
2. Use JOSM select tool (why bounding box keeps aspect ratio of the
main window? I might be missing something) to select mainland bits
and delete them.
3. Create buffer 'sea' polygon around IOW
4. Export to OSM file
5. Use osm2pgsq to load *.osm file into Postgresql.
6. Using pgsql2shp utility (comes with postgis) create two shapefiles:
	iow.{shp,shx,dbf}  -  IOW island polygon and
	sea_around_iow.{shp,shx,dbf} - buffer sea around it (Use your SQL
skills here)

The rest was to create modified version of generate_tiles_iow.py
( Note setting background colour to Color(153,179,204,0) for perfect
blending with Gmap sea and modify osm.xml (iow.xml) to use iow and
sea_around_iow  shape files.

This is what it looks like : http://media.mapnik.org/iow.html
(switch to 'Map'!!)

All related files are in : http://artem.dev.openstreetmap.org/files/