[OSM-talk] buildings

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:48:15 BST 2007

On 7/25/07, Keith Sharp <kms at passback.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 11:58 +0100, Steve Chilton wrote:
> > Whilst also not wishing to build up expectations I have also started
> > working on some ideas for tweaking the osm.xml style file for the mapnik
> > layer on slippy.
> > Thanks to some excellent support I have mapnik running locally on an XP
> > box and can test things in this setup before commiting back to SVN.
> > It is a pretty steep learning curve for me (not least de-composing the
> > XML and seeing what it all does and when), so don't expect masses of
> > things to appear immediately (and remember the week lag for planet
> > re-rendering).
> > For instance, I think I understand what is needed to render generic
> > building tag with some standard fill and line but have yet to actually
> > do it. If someone else has done it and submitted to SVN then perhaps you
> > could mail me off-list.
> > So, please don't send me loads of suggestions, but hey watch this space.
>
> I to ran into the complexity that is osm.xml when I was building a local
> Mapnik setup.  I was thinking that it might be useful to split osm.xml
> into sub files for different types of data (rendering definitions,
> filters, data sources, credentials, etc) and then pull these together in
> a smaller osm.xml by using XML includes.  I have to admit that I've not
> checked whether the XML parser Mapnik uses supports xinclude or whether
> more hacking would be needed.

I know that it struggled with <!-- --> comments in interesting places,
so I wouldn't be surprised to find it struggles with other funky xml
stuff too. Definitely worth working on though - I've made additions to
add the cycle routes, but all this talk of rendering new things leads
me to think my custom osm.xml file will look massively out of date
unless I spend ages merging changes. Breaking out different things
into different files would help.

Andy