[OSM-talk] buildings

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 13:34:39 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 11:58 +0100, Steve Chilton wrote:
> Whilst also not wishing to build up expectations I have also started
> working on some ideas for tweaking the osm.xml style file for the mapnik
> layer on slippy.
> Thanks to some excellent support I have mapnik running locally on an XP
> box and can test things in this setup before commiting back to SVN.
> It is a pretty steep learning curve for me (not least de-composing the
> XML and seeing what it all does and when), so don't expect masses of
> things to appear immediately (and remember the week lag for planet
> re-rendering).
> For instance, I think I understand what is needed to render generic
> building tag with some standard fill and line but have yet to actually
> do it. If someone else has done it and submitted to SVN then perhaps you
> could mail me off-list.
> So, please don't send me loads of suggestions, but hey watch this space.

I to ran into the complexity that is osm.xml when I was building a local
Mapnik setup.  I was thinking that it might be useful to split osm.xml
into sub files for different types of data (rendering definitions,
filters, data sources, credentials, etc) and then pull these together in
a smaller osm.xml by using XML includes.  I have to admit that I've not
checked whether the XML parser Mapnik uses supports xinclude or whether
more hacking would be needed.

I was also thinking that it would be good to change the structure
further so that things like database credentials and paths could be
defined once and then referenced.  At the moment it is a pain to go
through the file fixing the same info in all locations.

Comments?

Keith.