[OSM-talk] Potlatch and the destruction of good work (N6 Ireland)

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Jul 25 19:53:59 BST 2007

In message <b5f0f61d0707251133p53c26216y7e6ba7cf862cdbbb at mail.gmail.com>
          "Dermot McNally" <dermotm at gmail.com> wrote:

> My ideas for improvements in no particular order:
>
> * All Potlatch edits tagged with username, method of generating email
> to named user.

I don't understand why you think Potlatch is a particularly special
case here (it's just as easy to delete things in josm after all).

Incidentally, user to user messaging on the web site should be working
now, so you shouldn't need an email address.

> * All edits tagged with username (how else can you enforce community spirit?)

They are, you just can't see the username unless the user has agreed.

> * Anonymous editing still possible, but not alteration of existing ways
>   or nodes

So users who haven't made their edits public can only create things
and not change or delete them?

> * A read-only flag that we can lay down on data we consider stable,
>   switchable by editors but fulfilling a "safety catch" function

Who gets to decide what is "stable" and who can turn it off again?

> * UNDO FOR POTLATCH!!! (OK, I lied about the lack of priority)

Proper wiki style versioning and rollback is what is needed, not an undo
function in one editor. Any volunteers to develop it?

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/