[OSM-talk] Potlatch and the destruction of good work (N6 Ireland)

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 12:29:59 BST 2007

On 26/07/07, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> You have no idea how much my heart sinks when I read a subject line
> like this. :|

Apologies - that was unfair of me, and I know that you've caught a lot
of flak over things like this that are as much side-effects of what
Potlatch is as they are actual flaws in it. What happened to my data
wouldn't have happened without a tool like Potlatch making the map so
editable - but we do want that level of access, so that's a constraint
we need to work within.

> You could try contacting them, though it's a bit hacky:
>
> 1. Select the way in question to find its ID - let's say it's 567890
> 2. Go to http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.4/way/567890
> 3. Look for the person who last edited it, e.g. user="Richard"

I'm assuming that this would only have worked with public edits, but
there's a really good reason why it certainly work now. I fixed the
mess, neatly implicating myself :-(

Take care,
Dermot