[OSM-talk] will we be nuked from orbit?

tim chippy2005 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 23:10:33 BST 2007

Getting back on topic, I have also been mulling this situation. Here
are some inconclusive thoughts:

We saw at State of the Map conference, indeed during Ed Parson's of
Google's talk, about "Tom Tom Share" of an easy interface for the 10
Million tom tom users to edit annotate and correct Tom Tom's data. The
users get something out of it, as their map gets updated. They get
correct information. The users have an incentive to contribute. They
will even pay for the privilege.

I am sure you have all come across this question when explaining what
you do with openstreetmap...  the "Well, why cant you do it on google
maps?" question - Most people are not that bothered about getting
access to the underlying data(at this time). Its like wikipedia, but
each entry is a static jpg of text, folks can read the data, and even
put possibly put virtual post-its on top, but people cant copy and
paste the words of the article.

I am sure if google buy navtech and release a surveying kit, thousands
more people will use it, simply because they will be able to see their
contributions to their map...

another thought, tom tom's competitors had better be looking to switch
from teleatlas.

where's this leave OSM was the question. I think it can be argued that
by being free, it would be seen as the cheaper alternative for in car
navigation, map providers (Multimap for example), businesses, and
organisations.

An alternate would be if these big players release the data, say "here
you are, here's the data for the world"... I think openstreetmap could
call that a win.

The other question was what would I do differently, based on what I
have scribbled above, I would make the data model more route
navigation friendly, create easy to use mobile editing tools, and even
make it easy for people to add in bay windows if they want.

tim