[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] Planned Maintenance

vegard vegard at engen.priv.no
Fri Jul 27 09:22:49 BST 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 08:37:07AM +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> In message <46A98078.9000003 at sxpert.org>
>         Raphaël Jacquot <sxpert at sxpert.org> wrote:
>
> > Tom Hughes wrote:
> >
> >> In order to allow some database schema changes to be completed I plan
> >> to place the API in read only mode at midnight BST (11pm GMT) this
> >> Saturday (28th July).
> >
> > could you elaborate some more on the changes ?
>
> With a couple of minor changes they are as described on the dev
> mailing list a few weeks ago:
>
>   http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2007-June/005442.html
>
> The main changes since then are:
>
>   - Not splitting the lat/lon indexes as somebody explained why
>     they were the way they are
>
>   - Switching current_ways to InnoDB to get row level locking
>
>   - Adding not null constraints to fields where appropriate

OSM being mainly a spare-time project for many people, and sunday being
a good mapping day - it would be a lot better for many people, including
me, if such long-running (but largely self-doing) things are running on
weekdays instead.

But, I understand it if it isn't possible.
--
- Vegard Engen, member of the first RFC1149 implementation team.