[OSM-talk] Cycle map updates

Håkon Enger hakon.enger at fys.uio.no
Sun Jul 29 09:01:46 BST 2007

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Frédéric Bonifas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it could be good to render the ways taged with cycleway=*.
> By the way, why do we still use highway=cycleway while cycleway=*
> already exists ?

Because they were not meant to be the same thing. cycleway=track is for a
cycleway running next to another road (like cycleway=lane is for a cycle
lane in a road) while highway=cycleway is for a designated cycleway
separate from any other roads. At least that's how I understand the
somewhat limited explanation on the Map Features page.

In other words, all the cycleway=* tags were supposed to go together with
another highway=* tag (say, highway=motorway cycleway=track) and not be
used on their own. Not that I think using cycleway=track like this is a
good idea, beacuse there is no information as to which side of the road
the cycle track lies on...

   Håkon