[OSM-talk] Cycle map updates

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 10:44:07 BST 2007

On 7/29/07, Håkon Enger <hakon.enger at fys.uio.no> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Frédéric Bonifas wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think it could be good to render the ways taged with cycleway=*.
> > By the way, why do we still use highway=cycleway while cycleway=*
> > already exists ?
>
> Because they were not meant to be the same thing. cycleway=track is for a
> cycleway running next to another road (like cycleway=lane is for a cycle
> lane in a road) while highway=cycleway is for a designated cycleway
> separate from any other roads. At least that's how I understand the
> somewhat limited explanation on the Map Features page.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I understood it too. I don't think it's
particularly clear as to what each is supposed to represent though, or
how to tag a variety of situations - shared footpath, segregated
footpath, cycle lanes in one or other direction only, one-way cycle
lane in middle of road (the wonders of junction design!) - and so on.

I'd love to render all these, but I think I need to wait for some
consistency with what people think they are for before I can do so.
Also, some of the stuff I have found out and about is quite
complicated - maybe we need to start doing "worked examples" for
situations that are more complex than just a single way.

Cheers,
Andy