[OSM-talk] Pedestrian crossings and barriers

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 10:54:21 BST 2007

On 7/29/07, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com> wrote:

> On the Map Features page there is only a single sort of crossing available:
> 'highway=crossing'. On the GravityStorm page there is a proposed tag
> 'crossing=toucan', which makes sense but I don't believe it has been voted
> on (forgive me if I am wrong).
>
> http://www.gravitystorm.co.uk/shine/cycle-info/

No, there's been no voting or discussion on this. I find the whole
voting and map_features arguments tedious in the extreme - and
personally think that features should be established in the real world
*before* being considered for inclusion on map_features (this gives
people a chance to see if their ideas really work, and provide
real-world examples for the voting process. I don't like theoretical
discussions about how tags *might* be used).

And since I get to chose the tags that are rendered... ;-)

Doesn't mean I'm not up for discussing it though! I figured
highway=crossing would be the generic term to cover any-old-crossing
type, and people who were interested in being more specific could do
so with crossing=toucan, crossing=zebra and so on. I've only tagged
crossing=toucan so far, since I wanted them on the cycle routes I've
been mapping. I don't want to force people to be specific if they
don't want to be, so highway=crossing would remain the generic term.

Cheers,
Andy