[OSM-talk] Pedestrian crossings and barriers

Sun Jul 29 16:15:45 BST 2007

OJW wrote:

> Going off on a complete tangent, there are wide variations in the
> response
> time for pedestrian/cycle crossings with traffic lights.  e.g. some
> detect
> you cycling towards them and change in anticipation, while others will
> absolutely not change until they've made you wait 90 seconds.

And then there are those appalling car-centric traffic lights with
induction loops, which only trigger a green when a heavy lump of
metal drives over them:

   http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340206
   http://www.instructables.com/id/EL8EH6RZ1REP286X29/

I stood for 15 minutes waiting for one to change in Cambridge once.
These days my attitude to red lights is a little more, ahem, liberal.

cheers
Richard