[OSM-talk] geotagged images in josm

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 11:18:21 BST 2007

Frederik Ramm wrote:
>Sent: 29 July 2007 8:19 AM
>To: Franc Carter
>Cc: OSM-Talk Openstreetmap
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] geotagged images in josm
>
>Hi,
>
>> It's a standard feature, after you load a gpx trace in, there will be an
>> option
>> in the layers menu to 'import images'.
>
>To clarify: The whole thing is about automatically matching images to
>GPS positions by comparing image timestamps and GPX times. It does not
>depend on tags at all (in fact, it works even without any OSM data loaded).

And to clarify one step further it's important to ensure the timestamps on
the photos are synchronised with the gpx time. The easiest way do this by
taking a photo of your gps receiver displaying the time. Then once you have
loaded your images into JOSM you right click the image layer and then hit
sync from the menu. This allows you to load the particular image you took
displaying the time and manually adjust the time to what is shown. I find it
a lot easier to have the camera set for UTC since that's what my GARMIN is
spewing out in the gpx trace. I find that my camera time goes off by about 1
second a day so I have to generally make this sync correction each day I
edit.

Note that none of your photos might appear in JOSM if there is no match with
the GPX timings (ie the layer shows up but none of the little picture icons
show with your gpx trace). They will all align correctly once the sync
process is made properly.

Note also that some cameras do not record the time precisely enough (ie no
seconds) which generally makes it pretty much useless for this process.

Once you get it working it is really worthwhile. I take around one
photograph a minute when urban mapping and I'd really be stuck without this
excellent facility in JOSM.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson