[OSM-talk] set up a mini osm server

Artem Pavlenko artem at mapnik.org
Sun Jul 29 15:12:07 BST 2007

On 29 Jul 2007, at 11:11, Andreas Hubel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I plan to set up a mini osm server for an event
> (http://events.ccc.de/camp/2007)
> How difficult is this?
> A MySQL and a webserver server isn't difficult, but what's with the
> API
> and the rendering engine (I prefer mapnik)?

You might find my live osm-linux cd is useful  : http://
artem.dev.openstreetmap.org/files/osm-linux.iso
It doesn't have any MySQL or web server, but it has all tools for
rendering osm maps (postgresql/postgis, mapnik, osm2pgsql etc). As a
bonus it has JOSM as well. You can collect/upload and view your data
in real time. No need to wait :)

It is easy to use , too. Boot CD and then in bash :
mapnik_at_work.py. Just follow simple instructions e.g. provide  a
bounding box. Press ENTER and enjoy your data being fetched from the
server, processed and presented to you in GUI. Have fun!

Artem

> MfG Andi

Artem Pavlenko
http://mapnik.org