[OSM-talk] Database Maintenance

Jon Bright jon at siliconcircus.com
Sun Jul 29 17:33:06 BST 2007

Hi Tom,

Tom Hughes wrote:

> All I can tell you is that there are two ALTER TABLE statements
> still running (for current_nodes and current_segments). Unfortunately
> there is (as far as I can tell) no way to monitor their progress and
> see how far they have got.

If we're talking about MySQL and those are MyISAM tables

ls -l /var/lib/mysql/<db name>

should show you .MYD and .MYI files for the tables in question, but also
the new tables which MySQL is creating under temporary names.  Depending
on what exactly those ALTER TABLEs are doing, you should be able to work
out a rough size difference for the new MYDs and MYIs and thereby get at
least a rough idea of the progress.

If it's postgres, or if those are (as I suspect) InnoDB tables, then I
also have no clue how to monitor the progress.  Possibly something shows
up in "show table status" or "show innodb status"?

--
Jon