[OSM-talk] OTish : Free The Postcode via OSM

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 23:10:03 BST 2007

> Very grey area. Certainly the co-ordinates returned by a Google Maps
> search for a UK delivery point will be copyright Royal Mail, a dataset
> which Google will licence, and pay a really hefty fee for it

Sorry, I may have phrased the question vaugely....

If I use Google/Yahoo/Live web search to find the website for some place I know:

http://www.google.com/search?q=house+of+commons

Use the venue's website (contact details) to get their postcode:

http://www.parliament.uk/useful/address.cfm
-> SW1A 0AA

Assuming I know where that venue is, and open street map is detailed
enough for me to find it

http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=51.49957360415806&lon=-0.12480873446148448&zoom=16&layers=B000F000

That tells me the Lat/Lng should be 51.49957, -0.12480

Is that Okay / Fair Use?

And why, in this particular case, does Free The Postcode already have
that postcode listed at 51.540485 -0.057268 which is more than a quick
stroll from Big Ben?

M.