[OSM-talk] Student project ideas?

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 09:45:14 BST 2007

We need more interest from education sources so this is an interesting
opportunity that we should support with as many good ideas as possible.
Matthew and others have listed out may worthwhile suggestions.

I'll widen out the scope a bit to suggest that at some point we are going to
need to engage those who are effectively barred because of the technology we
use. I'm mainly thinking about countries where there is no accessible
mapping and where the technology and equipment for putting data into OSM is
difficult, especially in the developing world. So, looking at ways of
lowering the cost of entry and permitting data collection and editing in the
field, away from an internet connection. So, for instance, cheap GPS loggers
or cheap digital cameras/camera-phones with integral GPS data loggers and a
low cost computing platform which does not rely upon such frequent
connection to the internet. I see this perhaps as something that might be
used by educational establishments (traditional geographers et al) in
developing countries rather than hackers and neogeographers that we are
mainly familiar with to date.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Robinson