[OSM-talk] Student project ideas?

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Jul 31 10:01:28 BST 2007

Ahoy,

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 00:15:48 +0100, Matthew Newton
<matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk> wrote:
> A lecturer I know (Computer Science) is wondering if there are any
> things in OSM that could be used as the basis for student final
> year projects. The projects run from about October to April, so it's
> not a quick fix for anything, but maybe something like investigating
> routing might be one? Any ideas I can pass on?

Some tools for tracking changs and generally taking care of an area. This
could cover:

* visualising changes over a specified period
* notifying users of changes in a specified area that is more precise than
the previous RSS feed system
* moderation queues
* rollback / undo / versioning to remove poorly mapped or maliciously
changed data
* any other bright ideas someone comes up with

Even if the tools don't make it into OSM, it would be nice to just explore
how we should manage the data. We're not building Wikipedia, the Linux
kernel or a canon of fine art, so working out some new techniques and tools
would be much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Tom