[OSM-talk] Rejected: Landuse=green_space

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Mon Jun 11 18:13:03 BST 2007

> The problem here is lumping all grass verges and extended grass
> infill around
> roads with the common areas provided in housing estates. These
> are DIFFERENT,
> and not simply green_space

green_space is no longer at issue. The current proposal is landuse=grass. It
is intended to be quite generic, specifically to distinguish it from parks.
I agree that the status of these things could well be different, but what I
am interested in doing (indeed already have done using the disputed "park")
is to show the *landmark* that they constitute on the map.

> Another very valid point, I have a grass area at the front to my
> house which
> is outside the fence but is still part of my property. It is a
> verge next to
> the footpath, but it's a level of detail I'm not worrying about yet.

> > As to rendering, this green space might not be rendered on some maps
> > where it is useful to render parks.
>
> Exactly, the larger park and play areas on council estates should
> be rendered,
> but not every individual grass verge and garden?

Yes, that's not what I'm talking about, though it is certainly an issue
where you stop. My criterion has been to mark where something out of the
ordinary happens: so in a street of houses with gardens, nothing, but if
there's a grassed island at one point, or a corner cut off with a grass
triangle then I try to mark it. But I haven't bothered with the interiors of
roundabouts (though I thought about it) or the triangles that are often
formed at T junctions, unless they are abnormally large.

Here's a few more examples:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=52.225380162064766&lon=0.1243720
999161786&zoom=17
http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=52.224913546051084&lon=0.1186750
8920248422&zoom=17
http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=52.22092410757335&lon=0.13218269
087581988&zoom=17
Alex Wood Road, Ferrars Way, Mulberry Close - houses accessed from footway
away from the road, but really quite small - only 50m maybe on the road
edge.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=52.23034176143905&lon=0.11612162
677337073&zoom=17
A series of very new urban squares: houses ranged around the outside, then a
road, and then a lawn in the middle with paths across it.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=52.220917534891356&lon=0.1533828
6633770332&zoom=17
An area of land between two housing estates. It was reserved for a road wich
was never built, and is now just an area of grass which people use as a
short cut. I imagine it will get built on eventually.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=52.21616523119931&lon=0.16581758
46374619&zoom=17
An area of older housing built around the outside of a very large lawn.
There is a plaground in a small part of one side (renderers don't mark these
yet) but is otherwise just mowed occasionally. No paths across it. No doubt
kids kick a ball around it sometimes.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=52.20711933134677&lon=0.14102324
98740952&zoom=17
Here's an interesting one: the western area (with the X paths) is a formal
park -railings, a sign that says it is a park, a few flower beds etc. The
eastern on is an urban square, like the second example, houses ranged around
a large common lawn. There are also H shaped flats to the north and south of
the footways marked.

David