[OSM-talk] on-road cycle routes

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 19:21:00 BST 2007

On 6/15/07, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:

> highway=footway, bicycle=yes just seems the wrong way round. What you
> will see on the map is a footway with no indication that it can be
> cycled on, as usually you can't cycle on footways.

Agreed with everything you said here (including the "might go back at
somepoint" bits!).

This is where I think the Map Features are the wrong way round - there
should be a big list of things you can find in the real world, with
their OSM tagging details beside them. So a nice long list of photos
of all the different cycle path permutations that we can find, with
the recommended way of tagging each of them beside.

Thinking about it that way round also helps with country-specific
stuff - instead of trying to come up with an internationally accepted
way of describing each highway classification (e.g. a description for
highway = trunk), why not build lists of real-world questions, with
OSM answers? I would prefer feature -> tag, rather than tag ->
feature.

(I'm not saying replace Map Features, just that the topic/country
specific reverse lookup could actually be more useful)

Andy