[OSM-talk] Mapping archaelogical sites

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jun 20 00:42:15 BST 2007

Hi,

> OSM only develops solutions to problems when the problems arise.

Well spoken. I have a number of problems down my sleeve that I'll make
arise tomorrow so that we can develop good solutions ;-)

> It will take us ages to sort out how we sort data logically, into
> different layers or whatever you call it.  If there is a pressing need
> for such code, we'll develop it, otherwise we all just think how cool
> it would be to be able to do it.

Thinking about how cool something would be is a major driving force
behind enthusiasm and invention, so you should not ridicule that lest
the whole project becomes just boring.

> I think you should get a concensus on tagging sites, then upload them
> and trust that someone will figure out how to improve the API.

I agree. If you (Rodrigo) are the only one tagging such sites, then
building consensus is exceptionally easy ;-) just put up a Wiki page and
write down the tags you're using. Just make sure that "your" objects are
discernible in some way, ideally by using a namespace like Jamie
suggested. This will make renderers ignore your objects because they
don't know the tags; your objects will show up in editors, but it would
be relatively easy to change e.g. JOSM to not (or exclusively) display
things that have certain tags. Maybe this is already possible with the
mappaint plugin. A change to the API is not required unless we start to
have so many archaeological sites that transferring their data uses a
lot of bandwidth.

Bye
Frederik