[OSM-talk] Users of the JOSM "select straight line" feature?

Håkon Enger hakon.enger at fys.uio.no
Thu Jun 21 12:20:45 BST 2007

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    is anyone using the "select straight line" feature in JOSM at all?

I'm using this all the time. It's very useful for creating ways in an area
where somebody has already created a lot of unwayed segments.
Unfortunately, it doesn't always work: sometimes the selection refuses to
go further on a particular node and I have to release the mouse
button and shift-click to continue.

> A patch has been submitted that would add a feature where you select
> one  segment and it automatically selects all adjacent, unwayed, non-
> branching segments, with the aim of making it easier to create ways.

This sounds much less useful than the current tool. In a city there is
often only one segment between intersections, and most ways span many
blocks, so this new feature would only be marginally more useful than the
"select single segment" feature.

   Håkon